Five Italian tourists have died in a tragic scuba diving accident in the Maldives after becoming trapped during an underwater cave exploration, authorities confirmed on Thursday.
The group had been taking part in a deep-sea dive near Vaavu Atoll, a popular diving destination known for its coral reefs and underwater cave systems. According to local officials, the divers failed to resurface at the expected time, triggering an emergency rescue operation.
Search teams, including coast guard personnel and experienced divers, were sent to the area after the group was reported missing. The bodies of all five victims were later recovered from inside the cave system.
Authorities believe the divers entered a section of the cave at a depth of around 50 metres, well beyond the limits of standard recreational diving. Investigators are still working to determine the exact cause of the accident, although difficult underwater conditions and limited visibility are believed to have played a role.
Italian officials identified the victims as a group of experienced divers visiting the Maldives on a diving excursion. Italy’s foreign ministry said it is in contact with local authorities and providing support to the victims’ families.
The incident has sent shockwaves through the international diving community and raised fresh concerns about the risks associated with cave diving, one of the most dangerous forms of underwater exploration.
Local authorities described the tragedy as one of the deadliest diving accidents in recent Maldivian history. Tourism officials expressed condolences to the families and said a full investigation is now underway.
The Maldives is considered one of the world’s top scuba diving destinations, attracting thousands of visitors every year with its clear waters, coral reefs and marine life. However, experts warn that cave diving requires advanced training, specialised equipment and extreme caution due to the high risks involved.











